Monday, June 25, 2012

Heading North

In the next few days i will be heading north up into Canada.  I will be competing in the Furious 3 (Fernie)  3-day mtb stage race.  This is one of 2 races I am peaking for this season and I feel as though my fitness is right where I want it to be.  Fernie is a super cool town and the singletrack there is epic.  I have ridden there once when i competed in the Trans Rockies TR3 race a few years ago.

The 3-series Furious 3 events was initially supposed to consist of 3-day races in Fernie, Whistler, and Moab.  Unfortunately, there were not enough entrants for the Whistler race and it was cancelled.  They seem to have dialed in the stage race format, linking all 3 days of racing back to the starting town, making it easy logistically to set up camp (ie: hotel).  Each days' racing will consist of mostly singletrack, designed to cater to the racers.

Since I have been preparing and tapering for this race, I had to skip the Pickett's Charge XC race that happened this past weekend.  It's one of the local favorite's as it includes Funner and Tiddlewinks trails.  Sunnyside Sports puts the race on and does a great job every year making the race fun for all.  This year Ryan Trebon took top honors as he bested Brennan Wodtli and Brett Nichols with a time of 1:36 over the course of 25 miles.  Recent rain I'm sure made the course conditions the best they have been since the race moved to the new trails.

Here are the bikes I am bringing to the Furious 3 event...Kona Hei Hei Supreme and Kona King Kahuna.


                 King Kahuna                                                                                                              Hei Hei Supreme

I will be bringing my helmet camera so will be posting daily footage from the event along with a race recap after each stage.  Stay tunes for some footage from Canada.  Hope you enjoy, ehh.


No comments: