Saturday, July 23, 2011

Stage 2 - Skyliner TT

As I have mentioned several times in previous posts, I never look forward to the individual TT.   I think if I actually trained in an aero position or bought some aero equipment, it might not seem as hard.  I give credit to those who can drill it and overcome the self-punishment of a TT.  I still do not know exactly how to pace myself, and I sure don't have the big muscles to push a big gear.  

Today's course was  12-miles, with the first half a gradual climb followed by a descent to the finish.  I have the say that the descent felt harder than the climb.  I borrowed a set of clip-on aero bars to help give me every advantage possible.  I don't know how many seconds they saved me, but it made me feel like I was riding faster.  I always know how I am doing by how many riders pass me.  This time I was passed by 2 riders on the climb (both of which finished in the Top 5).  I was able to hang with them on the rest of the climb, but as soon as we descended, they were gone.

I finished with a time of 28:02 and succumbed over 2.5 minutes to the winner.  I also dropped a little In the overall GC.  I now sit at 2:34 behind, so with the Crit and Awbrey Butte circuit race, it looks like the circuit race will be my only chance to make up time.   Pulling off a stage win would be nice.

Remember to check back for some action-packed video form the Crit tonight.

No comments: