Friday, June 12, 2009

Back Home Recovering

The surgery on Wednesday went well. After 3.5 hours in the operating room the parotid tumor was removed and it was benign. The size of the tumor measured just over 2 cm. It's a good thing I had the tumor removed now because my Dr. said that it was getting very close to a nerve that would have had to have been cut had it gotten any closer, resulting in some facial paralysis. As it stands now, I have some numbness on the left side of my face, and I cannot open my mouth very much. Eating has really been a challenge. The numbness should wear off after a week or two...hopefully.
The worst part so far has been the itching of the scar. It feels like a feather is touching my skin, but I can't scratch it because I have no feeling. My face is pretty swollen still and I haven't been able to take a shower for 3 days, eeeuuwww.


Below are some photos. View at your own discretion.

All wrapped up post-surgery



This was a drain inside my neck for blood, damn thing was like 3 inches long. I had it removed the day after surgery.



Feeling better...making the calls to the family to give the ok



The day after surgery I had to have this stupid thing wrapped around my head



All bandages off...but still numb



If you were to add up the length of scars I have just on my head/neck alone, it would be close to a foot long. The scars are like tatoos though, a story behind each one.

2 comments:

David said...

Just tell people it was a muggin gone bad ;)

Sloane Anderson said...

Yeah, I fended off 3 Brazilian jujitsu fighters with knives. Yeah that's what REALLY happened. Yeah