Beginning very soon I am going to be posting several health/nutrition and training tips to help improve overall wellness and athletic performance. I will be sharing my own ideas and also referencing ideas from other sources. Who knows, you might actually learn something new.
Here is a sample of what you can expect:
Adding More Purple into Your Diet
Concord grape juice (not surprisingly) belongs to the purple family. Recent data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) revealed that people who consumed purple/blue fruits and vegetables on a regular basis had a lowered risk of metabolic syndrome. (Metabolic syndrome is a condition in which a group of risk factors for heart disease, including stroke, and Type 2 diabetes occur together)
5 Easy Ways to Adding more Purple into your Diet
1. As a rule, high-fiber, low-cal, filling real fruit is always better than fruit juice. Toss blueberries into your morning breakfast cereal, or purple grapes into your salad.
2. If you feel like a glass of juice, try concord grape juice. Make sure to check the labels and look for 100% concord grape juice instead of grape juice blend.
3. Add raisins or dried plums to your trail mix.
4. Use grape juice in replacement of red wine in your cooking. This results in dishes with great flavor minus the alcohol. Perfect for everyday cooking!
5. Try roasting or grilling sliced eggplant
Written by Gloria Tsang, RD
Published in November 2007